València, 1930. Carlos Gens Minguet runs the old family workshop which, over time, has become a factory that manufactures small machinery, industrial valves and hydraulic pumps. The GEYDA brand he created with his business partner, Rafael Dalli, is gaining notoriety and the company needs a new building in order to meet its new needs.
For its construction, Gens looks for a prestigious architect: Cayetano Borso di Carminati. He asks him for a different and innovative design for his new factory to be built in today’s Avinguda de Burjassot, in the outskirts of the city. For this project, apart from taking the casting production process into consideration –as well as exhibiting great aesthetic taste–, he also emphasises the importance of workers, designing changing rooms, showers and a dining room for them.
The premises would gradually be expanded and renovated to incorporate new machinery, which eventually replaced manual labour almost entirely in the production process. This splendour slowly declined until 1991, the year of its closure. The industrial complex then started its slow but unstoppable deterioration as a result of the neglect and lack of maintenance that culminated with the fire that burnt part of the complex in 2014.
Fate, however, decided to give it a second chance. A few months after the fire, the people responsible for Fundació Per Amor a l’Art acquired the building with the aim of restoring it –giving it a new life– and making it available to the Foundation.
Team of architects: Eduardo de Miguel, Annabelle Selldorf ang Ramón Esteve.